Success would not be achieved overnight, while we can o move closer to achieving it by making time for little things. The world’s business leaders, from Elon Musk and Oprah Winfrey to CEOs at Google and Facebook, all regard to accessing of success as a work in progress.
Here are five things you need to do on a daily basis if you want to be successful in life:
1. Read books that are not directly related to your career
Reading is one of the easiest ways to explore life from a different perspective and develop the empathy you need to be an effective leader. Besides, it is important to expand your knowledge beyond your competence.
Here’s the reason why Elon Musk includes science fiction and biography on his reading list.
“I was raised by books. Books, and then my parents,” Musk said in an interview with Rolling Stone.
2. Leave your comfort zone
Developing a habit of doing things outside of your comfort zone is a sign that you are leveling up. Otherwise, you will not achieve much success in life.
If you hate public speaking, be the first to speak at the next team meeting. While you can get very nervous in the process, just do it anyway. It will get easier.
Mark Zuckerberg has spent years learning the Mandarin dialect. And guess what? He did a pretty good job of it. Fear and growth cannot exist in the same space. One must leave for the other to flourish.
3. Go in for sports
Researching wealthy people for five years, Tom Corley has found out that they all have some kind of sports hobby, among other hobbies.
A number of self-made billionaires, including Richard Branson, Oprah Winfrey, and Sheryl Sanberg, have added exercise to their daily to-do lists. Research has even shown that a small amount of daily exercise can significantly extend your life.
4. Give back
In 2010, Bill and Melinda Gates together with Warren Buffett launched the Giving Pledge, a project in which wealthy people and families donate more than half of their fortune to fight problems such as poverty and poor health globally.
But it doesn’t have to be huge amounts of money. It can be as simple as offering to help overworked colleagues or seniors with their grocery bags. If you are too busy to give, then you are too busy to succeed.
5. Take a walk to think
Everyone knows that we all spend too much time in our offices and online. But there is one thing that is very easy to do, and it will be of immense benefit: go outside, take a walk and just think.
A study by the American Psychology Association found that outdoor walks can boost creativity and improve problem-solving skills.
Mark Zuckerberg, Richard Branson, and CEOs of giants like Google and LinkedIn also love to hold their meetings while walking because it helps them come up with new solutions.
“I find it to be a much quicker way of getting down to business, making a decision and sealing the deal,” Branson wrote in his blog. “Plus, it’s a great way to fit in a bit of exercise and stay focused on a busy day.”
How to create and implement daily habits
Here are a few simple things to help you build habits.
- Focus on one (and only one) change. Until the habit is established, it is very vulnerable. If you deal with everything at once, you can do nothing. If you do a lot at once, little will be done correctly and efficiently. Quantity and quality are interrelated concepts.
- Start small. Everyone has heard about it, but few adhere to it. You might want to start multiple event, but there are two reasons not to. First, you can “break down” everything by taking on too much. Second, starting small, evidently the progress will be efficiently, since the difference between where you started and what you achieved will be greater. A small but positive and motivating trick.
- Create a logical condition for carrying out a daily action instead of a specific time. Time binding is detrimental to our actions. We can be late or oversleep. But if you use not the time, but the condition, the habit becomes much more pleasant. For example, we do not brush our teeth at a certain time, we brush them in the morning and in the evening, when it is logically necessary.
- Record your daily achievements and have fun with it. Create an achievement diary if possible. The diary will allow you to monitor your results and achievements and plan your progress.